Monday, September 12, 2011

Our first weekend with just Mommy – daddy goes to Vegas

Jeff has this wonderful annual trip to Vegas to meet up with his friends from his Honda days and do their fantasy football draft.  It started out in LA where we all were, but as everyone has moved all over they migrated to a weekend in Vegas.  Given that Reese was only 6 months old, he missed last year’s trip and had to remote in for the draft.  The year before that he went, but I was still about 13 weeks pregnant with Reese, had 4 year old Austin, 18 month old Ella, and came down with the H1N1 (a.k.a. bird) flu.  It didn't go well to put it mildly.

But, this year he deserved it and I was ready.  Thanks to lots of family and friends, the four of us survived and had fun!

On Saturday we just hung out and visited with Grandma Chris and my family.

We perfected Ella’s swinging all by herself!  (Yep the shirt is messy, but I am too tired to edit it out and pretend she is perfectly clean:)

9-5-11, ella learned to swing by herselfIMG_8102

Reese exercised.  (Wasn’t sure what this was about it, but went with it.)

9-5-11, reese excercising

Austin proudly perfected tying his shoes by himself. 

 9-10-11, austin learned to tie his shoes9-10-11, austin tied his shoes

Reese refused a picture with her brother and sister.  Did I mention that she has “found” her voice?  On Friday she insisted she wear her tennis shoes, not her sandals.  And she herself has perfected the word NO.  Oh, and the big spot on her forehead is where the poor thing bit it on the patio Friday night.

9-10-11, reese didn't want to take a picture9-10-11, austin and ellaGrandma Chris returned from her Chicago trip with goodies in hand.  Ella got her first American Doll, which she has named Olivia, but refused to take a picture with.  Reese also got goodies, but wasn’t in a picture taking mood.  Luckily Austin obliged with his new Cubs gear.

9-10-11, austin

On Sunday, we hit the zoo bright and early to meet up with the famous Ella Perkins, Easton and their mom, Megan.  It was 2 against 5 and we were constantly trying to make sure we hadn’t lost a kid.  There were so many food and potty breaks, we couldn’t tell you which animals we saw.  We also happily ran into the famous Jack Putnicki and family.

9-11-11, kids at zooI was just trying to keep up so I didn’t get any pictures, but luckily Megan is fantastic and did.  Will hopefully have more to post or link of those later.  The biggest hit of the trip was the snow cones at the end, it was the first thing they wanted to tell Jeff about.  And, it was something I initially was trying to fight and say no to.  Then, Megan and I looked at each other and both said, “I don’t care.” 

Sometimes I am so focused on making sure they eat healthy foods, practice their reading, or get whatever task at hand done, that I don’t let them just have fun.  This was a great reminder to sometimes just go with the flow, because they loved it.

Jeff came home this afternoon and we were all very happy to see him!  I missed him, but am pleased that I did it on my own and got a lot of great snuggles out of the weekend.  I might even be looking forward to next year! (That and my well earned girls adventure)

No comments:

Post a Comment