Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A conversation on the way to Austin’s baseball game.

We were wrapping up the remodel project this past weekend and Jeff had to stay back at the house to finish something, so I took Austin and Ella to his baseball game. 

As we pulled into the YMCA parking lot, the following conversation occurred with my 6 year old son and 3 year old daughter:

Austin, “Mom, you don’t have to come out on the practice field with me.”

Me - “Are you afraid I am going to embarrass you?”

Austin - “Well, you don’t throw very well.”

Me - “I know, I don’t throw very well.  That’s okay, you can’t be good at everything.”

Austin - “What are you good at?”

Me - “Hmm, I try to be really good at being a mom.”

Austin  - “Yeah, well you are the best at that.”

Me – My heart swells and eyes fill with tears, thinking that is so sweet. 

Before I can say  thank you, Ella says –“Yeah, but mommy, remember the other day when you drove off and forgot to buckle me?  That wasn’t so good.”

How quickly these little ones turn on me!  Now, before you go calling CPS on me, this was the first time that ever happened, it was an insane afternoon and before we even got out of the parking lot I stopped the car and got her safely buckled. 

I just thought it was hilarious, and amazing how their minds work and what they process and DON’T forget at such a young age.  Hopefully as they grow and time softens their memory, they will remember more of the good and less of my mistakes.

Like when we ate our ice cream on top of the car…

IMG_8194

and played with everything in big sister’s room while she was gone…

9-25-11, silly reese

and washed our car (and ourselves) in the front yard, just for fun.

10-1-11, ella IMG_8333

No comments:

Post a Comment