Friday, April 13, 2012

Miami, a.k.a. 3 days of heaven

Jeff’s mom gave him a trip to Miami as his Christmas present last year.   He has talked about wanting to go to every ballpark in the US, so opening day at the Miami Marlin’s new stadium was a perfect addition to his goal.  Luckily I got to tag along.  We were going to get to stay for a few extra days in South Beach…and just relax!  Just the two of us, no kids!!!!!  (As much as we love them, every parent sometimes needs a break)IMG_0480IMG_0280
We are so appreciative to Chris and my parents (and the babysitter) who made it possible for us to escape for a few days!
After a rough start of having our flight cancelled and rebooked for the next day, we made an impromptu decision, bought new tickets on Southwest, flew to a different destination, rented a car and drove directly to the baseball game that started at 7pm on Wednesday night. 
We arrived at our seats just as the 1st inning began!
IMG_0455
Our seats were amazing, you could actually see the details of the pitcher’s mound, there was cold beer, and a couple of SoBe dogs.  I had sent this picture out on Facebook, and I love that one of my friends said how relaxed we look.  We are pretty close, and she has seen us numerous times trying to wrangle our lives and all three kids…she was right!  It was something I was acutely aware of the whole trip.  I almost felt like I had taken a valium, but nope, it was just VACATION!
Then there was our adorable boutique hotel, in walking distance to everything.
IMG_0378IMG_0288
Had a wonderful, people watching breakfast here both days.
IMG_0365
On Thursday, before we returned the rental car, we made a visit over to where the Miami Heat play to pick up a Lebron James jersey for Austin.
IMG_0293
And thus begins the part where you can’t judge meSmile  Most of the pictures I took on the trip were of the adult beverages we had.  Don’t know why, just what ended up happening. 
After a run, we had lunch on Ocean at Pelican, and I had my favorite drink of the trip, the peach mango caipirinha.  Oh yeah, the best part, we didn’t’ even eat lunch until 3pm!
IMG_0301IMG_0303
We were headed to the beach after, so I am sans any make-up, and as you can tell, I don’t care.
IMG_0305
View out from our table and Jeff people watching.
IMG_0309IMG_0308
Then we walked down to the beach.
IMG_0310IMG_0311IMG_0315IMG_0317
It was so clean compared to the gulf we have in Texas, a little cool, but not bad after you got in, and just felt fantastic.  After a little nap on the sand, while relaxing to music on my headphones (not what the kids wanted, but whatever I wanted to listen to), we went in for a swim.
IMG_0326
Then it was back to the hotel for happy hour before dinner.  We had our drinks on what felt like someone’s beautiful and peaceful back patio.
IMG_0329IMG_0332
Around 8, not 5:30 as we usually have to do, we headed out for dinner.  We had no idea which restaurant we would land at, but was directed towards Espanola Way.  It was adorable, kind of Little Italy with a Latin inspiration. I know this picture is out of focus, but I still kinda liked it, it captured the energy of the area.
  IMG_0333
We ended up at Havana and had Cuban food for the first time.  Mojitos and later Sangria, YUM!  The food was amazing too!  The food must have inspired Jeff because he was eyeing white pants like these the whole trip, but never broke down and bought them.
IMG_0343IMG_0362
A random store on the street with some cute puppies.
IMG_0357IMG_0354
We walked back by the next day as well.
IMG_0374IMG_0375IMG_0376
We weren’t all that impressed with Lincoln Road, which we had heard was great for shopping and people watching.  We spent Friday going for a run (ok, I walked), eating, walking around, a little beach, Jeff even took a nap! 
 IMG_0463IMG_0370
IMG_0377 The concierge recommended we go to dinner here.  It was located where the bay and the ocean meet, we got there before the sun set, and must have been there for over 3 hours.IMG_0405
The view was wonderful, the food was great, and the company was the best part!  I made the poor waiter try two different lighting options for our picture.  Neither turned out great, but oh well.
IMG_0385IMG_0390
We loved watching the boats from our table as they went by.
IMG_0380IMG_0384
Linger we did!
IMG_0400IMG_0410IMG_0391
It was so wonderful to spend a few days with Jeff…and then we were very happy to come home to our other three loves.
What a great trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment